ADVANCED DL ASSIGNMENTS PAGE
WATCH THE LIGHT-TRAILS VIDEO TUTORIAL
Painting With Light
LIGHT PAINTING ASSIGNMENT PART 2 •LIGHT TRAILS
Like the Light Painting images you created in an earlier assignment, Light Trails images can range from relatively simple to fairly complicated. Amazing photos can be created indoors with nothing more than an interesting subject, cool background and small LED penlight to create your light trails.
WHAT TO DO
Step 1: Read: Light Painting Photography
Step 2: Watch the Light-Painting Tutorial Video
Step 3: Shoot amazing photos using the "Light Trails" light-painting technique.
TIPS FOR YOUR SHOOT
What you’ll need. A tripod, flashlight(s), camera set on manual mode, lens on manual mode.
1. Go to an area that is almost completely dark -it can be inside or outside –but, if you go outside,
it must be in an area that is not too brightly illuminated by any other light source. (It has to be dark! You don't want to shoot under a streetlight!)
2. The person doing the "Light Painting" should be wearing very dark clothes -no bright colors or whites...
3. Put the camera on a tripod.
4. Put your camera on "M" "MANUAL" exposure setting.
5. Exposure settings: try f/8 or f/11, shutter on 15 or 20 or 30 seconds, ISO 100 or 200…
(These exposure settings are an estimate. Your exposure will vary. You want to give yourself enough time
to paint your object, but not too much time so that available light “contaminates” your photo).
6. Put the lens on Manual focus! Focus the lens on the subject BEFORE you turn off the lights.
7. If shooting alone, put the camera on self-timer so you can be ready to paint with the flashlight when the shutter opens.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
•Shoot a minimum of 20 images.
•Turn in 2 images of the "Light Trails" style of light painting.
•Submit a screengrab of your 20 images on a proofsheet.